Hypercon 25mg (Atomoxetine)
|Hypercon 25mg (Atomoxetine)x30 30||$1.6||$48.00|
|Hypercon 25mg (Atomoxetine)x60 60||$1.1||$66.00|
|Hypercon 25mg (Atomoxetine)x90 90||$0.95||$85.50|
|Hypercon 25mg (Atomoxetine)x180 180||$0.8||$144.00|
|Hypercon 25mg (Atomoxetine)x360 360||$0.65||$234.00|
Hypercon 25 is a medication indicated for the treatment of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). It is used as part of a complete treatment program to increase an ADHD patient’s ability to pay attention, concentrate, stay focused; to reduce hyperactivity and impulsiveness in both children and adults.
Hypercon 25 contains 25mg of Atomoxetine. This drug belongs to the drug class called selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors. It works by increasing levels of norepinephrine which is a brain chemical that is necessary in controlling behavior.
Hypercon 10 is manufactured by Consern Pharma Pvt. Ltd.
Hypercon is contraindicated to patients with known allergic reaction to any of the tablet ingredients. It is also contraindicated to patients with the following medical conditions:
- Severe heart problems, irregular heartbeat, severe blood vessel problems, severe or uncontrolled high blood pressure, narrow-angle glaucoma
- Active or history of pheochromocytoma
- Cerebrovascular disease
- Have taken or taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors within the last 14 days
Warnings and Precautions
Hypercon may cause an interaction with medical conditions and medications. Before using this medication, a patient must first inform a physician if any of the following apply:
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Liver problems
- Urination trouble
- Raynaud syndrome
- Patient or family member history of bipolar disorder, other mental or mood problems, suicidal thoughts or attempts, and alcohol or drug abuse
- Patient or family member history of heart problems, heart attack, abnormal ECG, stroke, high or low blood pressure
- Patient history of seizure, increased eye pressure, blood or bleeding problems
A patient must also inform a physician of all other past and current medications such as but not limited to:
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) like phenelzine – may cause severe or even fatal side effects like severe high blood pressure, high fever, severe agitation, muscle problems, and coma. MAOIs must not be taken 2 weeks before or after taking Atomoxetine (Hypercon)
- Quinidine or SSRIs like fluoxetine – may increase risk of atomoxetine side effects
- Albuterol – atomoxetine may increase risk of side effects of the drug
- Cough and cold medications may contain ingredients that cause an increase in blood pressure and heart rate, or cause drowsiness
- Antihistamines or sleep medications
This is not a complete list of drug interaction. A patient must never start taking other new medications without consulting a healthcare provider.
Atomoxetine may cause dizziness, light-headedness, and fainting. These effects may be prevented by sitting up or standing slowly. At the first sign of these side effects, the patient must sit or lie down.
Caution is advised when driving, performing tasks requiring alertness, and operating machineries due to the side effects that the drug may cause like dizziness and drowsiness.
The growth rate, weight, and final adult weight of children may be affected by the long-term use of this medication. A physician may briefly stop the treatment for certain times to reduce this risk. A child’s weight and height should be checked regularly.
Children and teenagers with ADHD may be at increased risk of suicidal thoughts or attempts. The risk is greater for those who have a personal or family history of suicidal thoughts or attempts, and bipolar illness. Adults may also be at risk. Patients taking this medication must be closely monitored.
Atomoxetine is under Pregnancy Category C – risk can’t be ruled out as animal studies have shown fetal harm. However, human studies are inadequate. It is also unknown if the drug passes into breast milk. Pregnant and breastfeeding women should first discuss the benefits and risks of this medication before taking it.
Hypercon and Alcohol
Alcohol consumption may worsen the side effects of Atomoxetine (Hypercon) such as drowsiness, dizziness, light-headedness, or fainting. It is best to avoid alcohol consumption when taking this medication.
A patient must consult a doctor to get the right dose based on one’s medical condition and other factors. The prescribed dosing instructions must strictly be followed. Taking the medication more or less than the prescribed dose or taking it more often or longer than prescribed must be avoided. Below are the dosing recommendations of Atomoxetine for children and adults.
- Children and adolescents over 70kg body weight, and adults:
The initial dose is 40mg per day and may be increased after at least 3 days to 80mg per day, as a single dose in the morning or as evenly divided doses in the morning and late afternoon/early evening. After 2 to 4 additional weeks, the dose may be increased to a maximum dose of 100mg per day. This also goes for patients who did not experience optimum benefit from the medication.
- Children and adolescents with 70kg body weight and below:
The initial dose is 0.5mg/kg per day and may be increased after at least 3 days to 1.2mg/kg per day, as a single dose in the morning or as evenly divided doses in the morning and late afternoon/early evening. The maximum dose is 1.4mg/kg per day or 100mg per day, whichever is lesser.
Hypercon tablets are taken orally, swallowed whole with a full glass of water. It may be taken with or without food. This medication is taken usually upon waking in the morning then a second dose is taken either late in the afternoon or early evening. This is because the medication may cause insomnia when taken late in the day. Wash hands after handling the tablet, avoid the drug from coming in contact with eyes.
Take a missed dose as soon as remembered but skip if it’s almost time for the next dose. A dose must not be doubled just to make up for a missed dose.
Emergency medical help is needed for signs of allergic reaction such as hives, itching, breathing difficulty, and swelling of face, lips, throat, or tongue.
Hypercon may cause side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, flushing, headache, constipation, cough, dry mouth, sleep problems (insomnia), nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, tiredness, and reduction of sexual desire. It may also cause menstrual cramps or irregular periods in women. A healthcare provider must be notified if these side effects persist or worsen.
Hypercon may also cause serious side effects such as, but not limited to the following:
- Feeling of passing out
- Fast or irregular heartbeats
- Decreased sexual ability
- New or worsening mental, mood or behavior changes
- Increased blood pressure
- Prolonged or painful erection
- Urination difficulty
- Numbness, burning pain, or tingling sensation
- Symptoms of liver problem: nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, appetite loss, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice
- Signs of heart attack or stroke: chest pain, pain spreading to jaw or left arm, shortness of breath, sweating, one-sided weakness, confusion, slurred speech, vision changes
Intake of Hypercon must be stopped and healthcare providers notified if any of the serious side effects listed above occur.
The following lists are not complete. It is best to refer to drug leaflet or consult a healthcare provider for more information.